Friday, September 18, 2009

My Daughter Is Having A Daughter.

25 years ago, I was 20 years old.

I gave birth to a beautiful little princess. She soon had everyone wrapped around her tiny pinkie finger.
It is amazing what little girls do to grown men.
It is also amazing what they do to their mothers, and I am thankful I only have one.
Women have been teaching their daughters how to be women for as long as man has walked the earth.
We teach them to be strong & compassionate, how to stand up and when to shut up. We teach them how to make oatmeal & lasagna. (If you are lucky that is)
Watching my daughter become a woman has been a strange and wonderful journey.
Emotional and rewarding.
When I had her we didn't know that 'it' was a girl, no one bothered much with learning the sex of the baby before it was born back then, so after two sons I was excited to have a girl to dress up and fix her hair. She didn't get much hair until she was two years old, and with two brothers to chase around wasn't much into getting her hair fixed, so I held her down lol, she was the pretty little tomboy in a dress, and her attitude has never changed from that stubborn beautiful strawberry blond little girl in the past 25 years.
When she had her first child at 18 (just like I did and had begged her not to follow in my foot steps) it was an incredible bonding experience for us. I had heart burn for her while she ate whatever she desired. She had a little boy.
He is the apple of my eye. We do wonderful fun things together and it is an easy & comfortable relationship. When he needs a break from the stress of life with his mom & step dad he comes to grand ma's house and just relaxes. I dig that.
This time is so much different than when she was pregnant with Mr. D as we call him.
All women know that when you are close with another woman your cycles tend to synchronize. This has always been true with my girl & I
~ insert an awww for the boys in our family here ~
The emotional affect of the daughter having a daughter to the mom is inexplicable. We range from giddy giggles to incredible anger. We share stress even if we don't know what the other is doing the energy always comes through.
The hormones are killing me I am old and have enough of my own thank you very much. I am not prepared for a new dynamic with my daughter becoming the mother of a daughter, I should say here that I am looking forward to the day she calls me and apologizes for the times she broke my heart just as I did with my own mother a few years ago. I believe it is a rite of passage into true womanhood, when you call your mom & apologize because you know how hard daughters are.
My baby girl is due within the month, and I am excited to meet my new grand child. My best friend lives in Florida, we are incredibly connected with her & her daughter... My daughters hormones are messing with all of us, even though they are 2000 miles away, I think only women have this kind of connection (I know you men reading this have strong connections to your guy friends, but this is a whole different thing)
Soon the mantle of 'Princess' will be handed down from my Princess to her daughter and I am not quite ready for that. I never considered all of the 'mom & daughter' things I wanted to finish with her that will now become her duty to do with her daughter. Will we get to do those things now? I don't know.




All I really know is what John Lennon said...
"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

Peace ~


No comments:

Post a Comment